Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Nordic Cycle Trip - Post #15

**i posted twice today so if you haven't read about the rain yet, read #14

I slept in the next morning. I actually woke up around 6, toes still numb and said a mental "nope", and went back to sleep until 10. After i woke up i took my time getting packed because i had looked at the train schedule and the train for Stockholm wasn't until 13:37. I got online and modified my hostel booking for Stockholm to say that i was going to get there a day earlier and be staying two nights. I gingerly rode my bike to the bus/train station and got there around 11:30. I'm not sure why i didn't just stay at the hostel and relax, i guess i didn't want to risk getting lost and missing the train. When i got to the ticket booth i told the man i needed a ticket to Stockholm and that i had a bicycle with me. He looked back and said "that's impossible".

No bikes on the express trains, only the local ones. And no bus options either. He said i could try to get closer to Stockholm and see what i could do but i was out of luck. Obviously i had to suck it up and ride, there was no other option. I changed my clothes, checked my map, and headed out. I had looked at this part of the route pretty extensively in preparation so i knew where i wanted to go; Degerfors, Svarta, Kumla, then a long way on one last road to Katrineholm.

I was pretty annoyed with the whole situation though. If i had just sucked it up from the beginning i would have already been on the road making my way to Stockholm. Now, it was noon and i had a LONG way to go to Stockholm. I wasn't sure if i'd be able to find wifi anywhere along the way to call the hostel to tell them i might not make it there tonight after all. And i was worried that if i didn't show up that they'd cancel my reservation for both nights.

So i rode. I rode fast. I'm sure the flat roads and the wind at my back helped, but i rode FAST. With ease i was hitting upwards of 25mph, 35 down hills. I still stopped every 20 miles or so to replenish my water. When i made it to Kumla i stopped at a grocery store for a 'lunch' of bread, 2 clementines, and some Haribo. From Kumla it was about 50 miles to Katrineholm. I had alread done 50 miles from Kumla, and some estimating on the maps it looked like it would be another 60 or so to Stockholm. I was making good time so i was pretty optimistic i'd be able to make it.

As i was leaving Katrineholm i stopped at a Burger King (for the wifi, i swear. i only got the fries to be a customer). With Google hangouts i was able to call the hostel and tell them the situation. I was hopeful i'd make it on time, but if i didn't i would certainly be there the next day. While i was easting i met a guy that was bicycling his way from Stockholm to see his girlfriend somewhere west of Katrineholm. He had about 15 more miles to go. We had a fun chat, complained about our bikes to each other. He was on a single speed with a ridiculously low gear ratio, giving him a top speed of maybe 12mph. And he had to pedal downhill to maintain speed because the tires were so fat with a lot of rolling friction.

I asked him how far it was to Stockholm and he thought it was about 100km (~60 miles). This was at about 9pm and i did the math, if the wind stayed behind me and i rode strong i would probably get to the hostel before 2am. I made a quick phone call to my mom, letting her know i was still alive, and headed up the road.

I made it about 20 miles before it starting getting kind of dark. i had to take my sunglasses off to see, but then i'd get bugs in my eyes. After i made the turn from rt. 55 to rt. 57 i passed a sign that said it was 75km to Sodertalje. Now, i had already gone about 20 miles. another 50 to Soldertaje meant that Stockholm was NOT 60 miles from Katrineholm and i was absolutely not going to make it there by 2am. It was dark. I was tired. I had stopped next to a pretty nice looking wooded area so i decided that was it. 120 miles on the day was pretty good, especially since i started so late.

There were a ton of mosquitoes eating me so as fast as i could i set up the bivy and inflated the sleeping pad. I was so tired i didn't care about being sweaty, i just wanted to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment